Thursday, October 11, 2007

Origin of the Species


I forgot to add in the previous post that "The Beast of Both Worlds" owes something to a little friend from Sesame Street (confronting felines and the alphabet above: certainly worthy of his own post).

From the moment I had the idea for the beast, I "knew" the head "needed" to be a red typewriter. I don't think the roots of this "knowledge" sprang to mind as immediately, but while going about coloring the rest of the monster, I realized where that red typewriter was conceived. Thanks to the nut jobs at the Children's Television Workshop for yet another permanently embedded archetype.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching this clip induces 50% nostalgia and 50% sheer terror. As always, you captured both in the epic beast cover.

And the tag "birthing monster" is pure gold as well.

-Josh

Paul Hornschemeier said...

Thanks, Josh. Yeah, things like our little typewriter friend were all too ubiquitous in my childhood (not that I think that's a bad thing), leaving me not to wonder why I create weird little characters, but why everyone of my generation doesn't. It seems the only logical response.

Anonymous said...

I loved that little typewriter guy. However, the artwork posted below did make me feel like I was watching Sesame Street while on a bad acid trip. Now, I am NOT slamming your work in the least little bit... It is wonderful! Keep up the good work, and keep 'em coming!

I feel like I just put one, ONE foot in my mouth. Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah!

Paul Hornschemeier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul Hornschemeier said...

I don't see the foot. Is it an invisible foot? Please feel free to remove the invisible foot from your mouth. It might also be intangible. It's possible there's no foot.

That is to say: thanks!