Friday, May 4, 2012

Thurber Days, Part Three: Giant Sloths and Creepy Babies


And here we are: the third and final installment of random pictures I took during my residency in Columbus.

As a student at The Ohio State University, one of the places I spent an inordinate amount of time was the Orton Geological Museum. There was almost never anyone inside, so I could spend long spans of time just staring at one of my favorite things on earth: the skeleton of the Giant Sloth.

It was good to be back and visit my old friend and see that some of the display cases are still in the same state they were twelve years ago. The museum itself is a sort of strange meta-exhibit. Simultaneously distant and familiar. And perfect.


Of course what documentation of a trip anywhere would be complete without a creepy baby head? I was disturbed by this in the office of Columbus Museum of Art's own Jeff Sims. It was a bit blurry every time I shot it, as if its creepiness wouldn't allow a clear picture.

Creepy baby head says: thanks for looking at these pictures. See you next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is the secret... hanging around in those places.

If I may: there was a comic series in the FAZ newpaper in Germany, it was about a huge person, and it was epic. I was convinced that I could buy an anthology of that and would not have to buy the boring newspaper every week. But I cannot find anything other than some artwork about the mighty huge suit guy. Where is his story?

Paul Hornschemeier said...

Good to hear you discovered Huge Suit in his original German newspaper format...

That story is collected in "All and Sundry," along with various other odds and ends:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Sundry-Uncollected-Work-2004-2009/dp/1606992856/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1336364465&sr=8-10

Anonymous said...

I read the book in the meantime. Lots of interesting stuff and it is great to have "Huge Suit" in one peace and place. I hope you came to terms with Aristoteles, the turtle, free will...