Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cover Me with Force Rays and Aqua-Beasts


I'm obsessed with bizarre comic covers, particularly those sporting declarative speech balloons ("I, the protagonist, cannot believe the obstacle I must overcome in the pages between this and the back cover!"). Often I don't want to actually read the schlocky comic within, as the oddity of the cover is somehow ruined by the unintentionally staid nature of the guts. The amorphous, gurgling story in my head seems to have better potential. And one of the best examples of this is "Challengers of the Unknown," which, though it's a much older title, I only happened upon this summer.

It's not that the comics are awful by any means, but there's a quality to these covers that almost no content could match. And luckily someone's been nice enough to archive them all (issues 17, 21, 22, and 30 were the ones that initially caught my attention on the San Diego Comic Con floor), in addition to tons of other amazing covers. Tease your eyes out.

No comments: