Sunday, May 27, 2007

Apparition 2: December 3, 2004

Dustin Hoffman/Mat says, "Wow, you're not lost in your perception, are you? You really ARE your perception."

(He said this outside the back of the storage house in which we were all staying. It was a weekend long experiment on sleep deprivation. I think it started as a comic book I was reading in the dream, but the expanded, became the reality of the dream.)

"I want to talk about that, what you just said," I told him, "but this is the most amazing thing I've ever seen." I nodded to the source of my amazement.

The water was a muddy green/teal, and the flowers to the right were the most vibrant reds and hot pinks. Beyond this, in the water, was what appeared at first to be a unicorn, but was actually a horse – white, with very sparse, very light gray spots – with its mane spiked straight, impossibly vertical, as I've seen in the appearance of certain show horses. At first he was alone.

Then, as if in slow motion, we realized he was running in out direction, with a pack of horses, of similar size and presence, trailing behind. We recognized these to be the wild horses of this area, an ancient, massive breed we would later refer to as "The Tyrannosaurus of Horses." Natives – oddly pale olive colored – walked and ran with these horses.

We pressed ourselves against the barn/house to be out of their way, but I couldn’t resist reaching out my hand and grazing one of their flanks as they passed. I was afraid somehow I would infect or destroy them, as they seemed magical in their anachronism, and somehow fragile to the poison of modern things.

One of the horses stopped, as did one of the natives, and I felt instantly guilty. The horse was ill. But its illness was independent of my intrusion; I was not to blame.

We immediately slid open the barn (the “basement” of this house was a sprawling dirt floor barn that was featured in another dream I had about my sisters and me rebuilding the basement of our parents’ house) and the native and the horse came inside. The horse laid down to rest and I spoke with the native, who said the horse was young – despite being already far larger than a normal horse – and would grow much larger, each of its legs being seven feet long.

He said they would rest here a while and catch up with the others. I didn’t stay long enough to see them leave.

No comments: