Saturday, January 3, 2009

Huge Suit Visits Germany


Starting tomorrow, and for the next seventeen weeks, I'll be contributing a weekly strip in the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung.The strip is in their "Tragic Strip" slot of their political section, and has been previously occupied by a slew of artists, including one of my major idols and influences, Heinz Edelmann. My contribution will feature Huge Suit (who made an appearance in Fantagraphics' 2006 Free Comic Book Day issue and is inarguably one of my more Heinz Edelmann-influenced characters). The strips aren't apparently going to be available online, but a clip is above.

The entire run is completely wordless (as is usual for strips running in that spot) and features a cast of five main characters, each narrative interlocking, each narrative shifted by a single encounter/intervention by that doughy overlord, Huge Suit. Each week, in addition to the current week's strip, the previous week's strip will run reduced toward the bottom of the page, so that hopefully the continuity of the overall story won't get too lost... though I'm trying to keep each strip relatively self-contained as a precaution.

If you're anywhere within the paper's reach, feel free to pick it up, collect them all, make a paper hat.

2 comments:

hobart said...

Any idea on the possibility of getting this if not, you know, in Germany?

Paul Hornschemeier said...

I know various newsstands here in the states carry international papers and that FAZ is pretty well distributed, but I don't know where specifically you could pick it up. Poking around their site, I noticed there is an "e-paper" (at the top of their site) that seems to be PDFs of the whole paper, but that seems to require registration of some sort. Not being fluent in German, I can't help much there. My apologies.

But I will guarantee that the strip will be collected in one book or another at some point soon, possibly as soon as the end of 2009.