Friday, May 25, 2007

Sightings and Apparitions


A few days ago I woke up to a phone call. It was my younger sister. Her opening line was, "Are you okay?" I replied that yes, sure, I was fine. Why?

"We thought you'd finally lost your mind."

She was referring to a message I had left, in a purposely rasping, meandering croak, where I read aloud the entire front label of a Nature's Crystal water bottle. The gravel of my affected voice was sufficient, that, when combined with the distortion of an answering machine, they had absolutely no idea what I was going on about. "Crystals? Something about milliliters? What?"

Of course, the plan had been to leave a coherent tail to the message, but I was cut off in the play portion, and, laughing hysterically at what I thought would be a great (but understandable) message, I left it truncated.

All of this misunderstanding, and the fact that I'd received a call half presuming my final collapse into full insanity reminded me that , hey, sometimes my skull can be just as much nonsensical fun with the eye parts of the head open as it can with the eye parts closed.

And this reminded me that I'd been intending to start a couple themes in this blog: sightings and apparitions. Or more physiologically: eyes opened and eyes closed. Or more exactly: probably really saw it and saw it but not so much in the "really" way.

Some of these will be cuddly stories I've come across on the way to wherever I'm heading. Some of these will be percolating bog dwellers from sleep. But either way, why not give them a home? Here's to more phone calls.

No comments: